Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mountains and Oceans


At one time in my life a question was asked. Do you prefer the mountains or the ocean? My first instinct. The ocean. But I was surrounded by two roommates. From Idaho. Where there is no ocean but plenty of mountains. Who immediately yelled out "mountains!" The pressure was too much I suppose. For I was still trying to figure myself out. So I thought to myself I suppose I should also say mountains. Since I am also from Idaho. So  I grew to love the mountains. But I recently got to experience the ocean again. Really experience it. Walks on the beach both in the morning and during the sunsets. Snorkeling through schools of fish. Stand up Paddle Boarding for the first time. Hearing the waves crash. Hearing children giggle as they feared and braved each wave that came in. And oh how my heart sang! I still love the mountains. And my heart sings whenever I see them as well. The mountains give me direction and steadfastness in life. The mountains beseech me to wander and explore. And at the top, I am able to see from a whole new view point. And the ocean? The sound of the waves give my heart peace. The life that is under those waves give me a sense of adventure. The light from the sun filters down through the water in ways that give me wonder and curiosity. The warmth of the sun on my skin is healing. Yes, I do love the ocean. Someday I hope to live in a place that has both mountains and oceans. Until then, I will continue to learn to love and appreciate where I am at.


No comments: